<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/32826630?origin\x3dhttp://youareupsidedown.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Friday, November 28, 2008

Outdoor Adventure Overseas Programme 2008 @ Bin Tan



Reflection



This trip has taught me the importance of being prepared.



Without being prepared with the knowledge that the tide is flowing out to the ocean, we would not be able to walk on the seabed towards Law’s Island. Being able to walk on a seabed and see the marks the ocean has left on the sand, the sight of many starfish all together in one place was so beautiful. Coupled with the little islands surrounding us, with trees reaching to the sky, and mountains vaguely in the background, it was all too gorgeous. But deep down inside, I was hoping for little fishes to be swimming around our feet as we were walking in the sea. The feeling on the sea would have been better.



Without being prepared with coconut husks and fire, we would have millions and zillions of sandfly bites and mosquito bites all over our bodies. It would have been worse than that of OBS.



Without being prepared with games and tidbits for the children in both schools we visited, I think the impact TPJC made on the kids would not have been so significant. They were smiling, wide grins all over their faces. I saw it all clearly, the laughter in their eyes; the happiness written all over their faces. I wish I could do it again, for all the kids everywhere. I would do it better, time after time. Thank god for Service Learning, I could change a day in the children’s lives. Only this time, I am part of the planning committee, the team who coordinates with everybody, from the Home to my classmates to TPJC.



Without being prepared with sampans, I doubt the group would have a chance to learn sampan-ing as an alternative activity to trekking. I was caught unprepared for this experience, I was so surprised, and I had so much fun. It was so unexpected, so unforgettable, so memorable.



Without being prepared with the experienced personnel like Bai, Afiq, the Law Family and the PE Department, I highly doubt this trip would have been a success. Though there were many hiccups along the way, certain activities did not go according to plan, without the foresight of these people, we would not have been through what we have done for the past 4days. Things did change for the better. Given a choice between trekking and learning to sampan, I would very much prefer to learn how to sampan.



I learnt that there is no better way to bond with a team and learn more about a person through karaoke sessions. Who knew singing old songs could bring back memories and at the same time, become a memory.



Without going for such a trip with a group of people, who knew how much fun one would have missed out? Education is not just about math and science; it is about being more humane.



I realized, we spend so much time using our brains, that we forget we have a heart.

Labels:

@ 11:15 PM

hits
;)